The blog entry was giving information on an AMAZING upcoming Christian Woman's conference called "She Speaks." It is geared at speakers and writers who are looking to sharpen their skills. What a wonderful opportunity! Even more fabulous is that they are looking for someone to attend for FREE!!! All that applicants have to do is explain why they want to attend (enter this blog post) so settle in and read on for my shameless attempt at authentically winning over the hearts of the discerning team members at Proverbs 31 Ministries. I am rarely a woman of few words so forgive the lengthy diatribe that awaits you. However, this tale is too great to leave anything out so you are getting the fully loaded, unabridged version!
As an aspiring writer, I am twittering (not the Internet kind) with excitement over all of the possibilities this conference could hold for me! God has really been revealing Himself to me especially through written words as of late. But I am getting ahead of myself. I have always loved writing, and am most fond of poetry. I speak most eloquently in the dialect of ink. It is my safe haven. On paper I am free to confront, confess, proclaim, create, anything I am brave enough to pen, really! I often joke that I dream in rhyme. Yes, I am one of those poets - a little Dr. Suessish if you will. With two children's books waiting in the wings for the past four years, I've been turned down by at least six NY based literary agents when inquiring about getting my works published. I was starting to think that maybe writing was not God's purpose for me.
That all changed a few months ago. The aforementioned friend has a wonderful talent of her own. She captures the most fantastic photographs. A while back she called me and said that something was on her heart. She had been trying to think of a way that she could use her gift to help others and was wondering if I would be interested in collaborating with her on some level. I broke out in head to toe chills - VERY un-Sara like! I, too, had been trying to find a way to use my "gift" to greater the kingdom! We decided we would pray on it and meet in a few weeks. Weeks turned into a few months. I had a few ideas but was not sure if they were mine or God's.
Then, a month ago, same sweet friend forwarded me another blog post. This time it was about a precious 2-year old girl who was battling stage 4 neurblastoma. Sadly, she lost her battle last week. Her parents courageously posted their trials with such grace and faith that I was captivated by their story. After reading one entry, I felt lead to write a poem for this little girl. It was my way of trying to make sense of it all. Without telling another mortal soul, I typed it out, said a prayer and sent it to the parents. Not knowing what would ever come of it, I just waited. Four days later, I was checking in on the family and there at the bottom of the mother's post was my poem! I could not believe my eyes. She said that it perfectly conveyed what was on her heart so she wanted to share it.
About two hours later, I had a strange rambling message from my sweet friend on my cell phone. Okay, she keeps popping up. Let's just call her Big A. She was telling me about the same post and how there was this poem on there. She knew that since there were over 25,000 people following the family's story I probably did not write it but that it had me "written all over it." What?! Remember, I told NO ONE, not even my own husband that I had written that poem. In a tizzy, I quickly called her back and when she answered I simply said, "How did you know?" Big A: "What? No way! You really did not write that. I am going to cry." Again, I broke out in head-to-toe chills! What was going on here?
After a few minutes of talking over each other but hearing every word, we knew that we had to do something. How could this not be the hand of our mysterious Maker? Knowing that sweet girl only had a few weeks left before she met Jesus, we got to work. Our company was born a few days later. Our mission: to combine personal family photographs with customized text in a format that everyday families can treasure forever. The byproduct: raising money for researching childhood cancer and accumulating funds to make these keepsakes for parents who are grieving the impending loss of their precious children.
At first it was so exciting. Then, I thought about it. Really, God? Do work for the dying? But how? Then I remembered that He had already been opening windows for me before I even realized the door was closed. I know that emotionally I cannot do it on my own but am confident that aside from being the best Godly wife, mother, sister, daughter, and friend possible, this is my purpose. At least for this season in my life.
ALL of that to say, by attending this conference, I would be able to really equip myself for my new journey. I usually write from the heart, but also want have the best professional skills that I can. I can't wait to broaden my horizons. God is good and He is ALWAYS faithful. Regardless of how He gets me there, I know in my heart of hearts that if this is to be my witness, where there is His will, there is a way.
Thank you to all of you who have made it to the bottom of this post! You are courageous, great reader! May God pour his abundant blessings over your life as He is doing in mine.
Here is the link for Lysa TerKeurst's blog. She is one of the amazing warriors involved in Proverbs 31 Ministries. If you feel like the Lord is leading you to write, speak or, more: You, too could win a scholarship. Get bloggin!
http://lysaterkeurst.blogspot.com/2010/03/she-speaks-scholarship-contest.html
Also, here is the link to the She Speaks Conference website. Enjoy!
http://www.shespeaksconference.com/index.htm
1 comment:
I'm just so sure that HE speaks through you. I just soaked in every single word of that post. Every word. I'm am going to pray like never before that you get to be involved in "She speaks." Something really great is happening here. Don't you wish you knew what it was??!? I'm pretty sure God had a fantastical sense of humor with all his 'trust-me-&-we'll-see-how-this-plays-out-applications'. It will be worth the wait friend:)
Post a Comment